Friday, January 20, 2012

Q&A #6 - Branding

So no ones been here for awhile but anyways just in case someone stops by:

Q:

1)I was just wondering what people thought about religious branding. More specifically Christian branding of things.

If it is a religious companies trying to do good things (ie. social services, or discussion through theatre), should they prominently place that they are a religion affiliated organization? Or should they practice values, be unashamed when asked about their religious stance, BUT not use it as part of their brand.

2) Is it silly to discuss Christian ideas in North American and European society in an cultural context alone; when western culture is so saturated with Christian ideas, can we even discuss the Church without being heavily charged with bias?


Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Yo!

    Long time no read. But here I am, and a question has been posed.

    Answers (short and sweet... If you want follow up, ask more questions)

    1) Yes. As in yes, they should first and foremost emphasize that they are a Christian organization.

    2)Sort of two questions in here again. I wouldn't say it's silly, but I would agree that it's hard to have a "Church" conversation without bias coming from somewhere. But where do you draw the line between calling it "bias" as opposed to personal opinions or beliefs?

    Hopefully this gets read eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the blue thought I'd check this site out again..
    Interesting question.
    1) I think they should. It links what they're doing with their motivation behind it and makes it known clearly to everyone what they're actually about.
    2) Hmm..I don't think I fully understand what you are asking (not your fault though). When you say 'in a cultural context' what other contexts might you discuss in?
    The unique aspect I see in North America is that there is an amount of "church" built into our fabric. Its a differenct type of discussion when you come from that kind of foundation and history instead of coming into a culture that has never or isn't based on Christianity. I find there is always an element of bias. Its just the reality of the situation. Conversations don't tend to go anywhere I find, unless they become personal on either side. When you step further than 'oh, yes my parents were raised in the church, and their parents were too..'- everyone has an experience with church somewhere which creates a bias I guess?

    ReplyDelete