Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Step in the Right Direction



I was directed to this video just today of Sir Ken Robinson's lecture on education. It was rather coincidental, as I was already planning on dropping by to share some thoughts on school as a whole. I don't mean to get into a discussion of the education system as a whole; the video is just too cool to not share.

I'll start by apologizing for my uninspiring use of this blog. I said I'd be updating biweekly or at least in that realm, and I have not. And it's definitely harder for everyone to stay interested when it enough of us stay dormant for extended periods of time. In part, I wasn't wanting to interrupt the discourse people were starting with Q&As, because I felt like veering away from that for a moment, so I wanted to let that play out first. I can't promise a more frequent use of the blog, because my schedule may or may not allow for it. As a matter of fact, I probably don't have time for this right now, but I've been itching to get back at it.

Returning, at last, to relevant interests.

I was zipping up my coat to leave campus today after what can only be described as the most undemandingly grueling six consecutive hours of class when I was overcome with a realization: I really enjoy being a student. That wasn't the first time I've said this, but it did seem different. I realized, of course, that this was probably the first time in the past three years that I've had that realization while in school. I probably say I enjoy being a student during the summer, or after exams are over in December, but I've never felt that way in the middle of all the stress. And as such, I find myself in a curious dilemma. I feel like I've got too much on my plate, but there isn't a single thing I want to drop. And that realization made me enjoy being a student more.

I've decided to cut this one short, because I'm distracted. And I feel as though I'll drift into saying the kinds of things I'm working on avoiding.



C Music:
I like to challenge myself, so I tried to pick songs all with the same first letter. I noticed afterward that every song I picked talks, in some way, about being distant. Whether it's being distant from your goals, from the girl you want, or escapism of some form.
Link here

3 comments:

  1. shoulda been directed to it back when i twittered it in december. just sayin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you say that, but i can't find it anywhere on your feed. so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i may have accidently deleted it today... i pressed a button when looking for it earlier and it somehow reposted it, so then i deleted what i thought was just the new one but it seems to be gone now.... sigh. you get away with it this time, andrew. it was on december 4th, i swear! haha

    ReplyDelete