Friday, November 5, 2010

Q&A #2

In the first few years of university, I've noticed there are a couple of things you feel become challenged quite regularly. Of course, what is education if it doesn't make you second-guess your convictions. But seriously, I do think that it's completely normal and even healthy to revamp your opinions.

So my question to you all is: What feelings, opinions, beliefs have you had challenged since you left high school?

For me, I've definitely had to reevaluate the severity (or lack there of) of what some things mean. At the least, I've had to realize the different spectrum of values, etc, that other people have. This wasn't that big of an adjustment for me, as I've always tried to be aware of the fact, but it's still shocking, sometimes. The level of decency you can expect is pretty unpredictable.

Secondly, there's a lot of things I've studied that, admittedly, have put my faith in a potential bind. The thing I really struggle with, though, is that even when I manage to justify these things to myself, I still encounter a lot of flack over them. The evolution thing is a fun punching bag. Of course, I know that as a whole, the Christian community had all of this coming. We honestly don't deserve a proper hearing, since most of us don't really dole them out too often ourselves.

But I'm almost a little sick of being the punching bag. It's too easy to find the kid who can't prove his beliefs and throw them in his face. To be frank, the Christianity deal has the quandary of being almost entirely reliant on the principle of believing in something in spite of being unable to prove it.

But, regardless, I've noticed that there is a completely justified view of Christians as closed-minded. If something jeopardizes the easy explanation of what we believe, we fight it. Be prepared to face the criticisms, work on them yourself, and accept that your rationalized answer will just be shot down anyway. Because that's the life, and if it was easy, there wouldn't really be an element of free will, would there. If someone offered you one thousand dollars or one dollar, is it really an exercise in free will to pick the thousand dollars? Technically, yes; but functionally, no.

3 comments:

  1. I think going into my summers away from university I've found that the "University" belief that people think that the majority of people react in a analytical smart manner is inconsistent with the real world which is dominated by a lot of ignorant people not always looking for good answers and looking at all sides of the argument. !Generally people are stupid.! Seriously don't forget that.

    to Christianity thing:
    I think a lot of the close-mindedness just comes from people trying to be firm in their faith towards other people; in the place of remembering just to show love towards people who are looking for "what these Christians are about". And to people who are not Christians it is 'love' we should be showing, not 'steadiness in belief' and 'making sure to give an uncompromising account' to questions. Does your answer show love? or will the answer you give be interpreted as something else in the other person in their mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good question Andy.
    The Christian factor is a huge one. Its definitely something I've struggled with especially as I've got more comfortable with sharing my beliefs openly with people. Its a struggle that there is no solid proof to point people to or when I can't properly communicate something so they understand where I come from.

    One big thing over the past years of university that hass got changing in my mind is the idea of morality. Growing up in the setting we did, we were so ingrained with what was 'good' or 'bad' to do and I think often I got caught up in something that was more or less moralism. Non-Christians catch onto this really quickly too. They sense your slight uncomfortableness or awkwardness in approaching a subject or matter. Not too mention all the steretypes that go along with it. I get it all the time at the store I work at where if I don't outright mention it, people just assume I don't drink/smoke etc etc which is frustrating because its not entirely true. We both end up assuming things about one another and it puts an imediate boundary between me and them and sharing what I believe and why. Before you even start they see the stuck up, moral, prude Christian and it takes time to break down and get past where people will feel comfortable opening up. I recently heard someone say something on it. They said people aren't changed by us telling them what they ought or ought not to do. They're changed by Jesus.

    Abram I like your view on it. Often I think that is the strongest thing we can communicate. I just think Christians need to connect that with words for people to make sure they know the place it's coming from and what motivates us. There are quite a few non-believing people in the world that can give us a run for our money in being good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to reassert my stance on this:
    Personally, step one is being a good person. Being a nice person. A likable person. I just think everything that accompanies that has maybe as much if not more effect on someone's life than telling them why I'm doing it.

    It's really hard to articulate what I'm aiming at, especially through a keyboard without the risk of sounding ambivalent.

    ReplyDelete